CHELSEA ROCKS – Laboratory Grown Diamonds (www.chelsea-rocks.com) invites all students across the globe of jewellery design, fashion and design – to enter a diamond pin design competition:
Throughout history and most notably in the 1980s, badges and pins were instrumental to youth protest, the punk movement and social rebellion. CHELSEA ROCKS invites students from the aforementioned disciplines to reimagine the lapel pin as a symbol of their generational esprit, be it social activism or a call for beauty in an increasingly turbulent world. The pin should celebrate the zeitgeist which focuses on sustainability, affordability, new materials, styles and creative expression. This will be promoted and presented by participants and entries will be evaluated on design, creativity and styling.
Joanna Park-Tonks, founder of CHELSEA ROCKS explains, “Much has been made of laboratory grown diamonds both in the media and research being a “Gen Z” and “millennial” topic. My vision is to engage directly with this demographic by providing a direct design platform for student expression, creativity and for our part, deep listening to the voice of a generation. Laboratory grown diamonds (LGDs) have come of an age when sustainability and climate change are at the top of everyone’s mind and every company has an imperative to respond to these issues. While LGDs carry a number of so-called “eco positives”, it will be interesting to see how this demographic responds to the ascendancy of this segment and whether these sentiments will be reflected in their designs.
The sky is the limit as regards to the design – as long as the badges, “diamond pins”, do not refer to any political symbol and contain at least 60% diamond content. The inclusion of other materials, e.g., hard enamel is encouraged, though no imitation gemstones are permitted. We recognise that younger generations delight in mixing traditionally “high” and “low” materials and encourage maximum artistic freedom. Moreover, we wanted to make this competition open to jewellery, fashion and design students, irrespective of geographic location, as we also foresee that there will be interesting cultural interpretations of this design brief from different parts of the world. This cross-pollination of ideas will only enrich a fertile design output.”
Hannah Buisman, Head of Special Projects comments, “Diamonds have been symbolic of love and unity for centuries, and this competition aspires to unite mediums, ideas and inspirations from across the world. #ROCKTHEPIN is set to be a fascinating nod to the universal talent of young people, as well as a unique insight into what is important to the next generation of leaders and global citizens.”
To reimagine lapel pins in laboratory grown diamond as a symbol of the zeitgeist / contemporary culture & beauty
HOW TO ENTER:
(1) DESIGN a pin incorporating laboratory grown diamonds inspired by the theme ‘#ROCKTHEPIN’. Scaled drawing or computer render / video to be submitted below (no finished pieces of jewellery or jewellery prototypes to be sent, photographed or rendered )
(2) STYLING & CREATIVE DEVELOPMENT – create a 60 second explainer video detailing your creative process, inspiration and iterations. Visual storytelling with a mood board during the video is encouraged.
(3) CREATIVE STATEMENT– Write a short 100 word statement with a social context and commentary contextualising your creation.
• Winning diamond design manufactured and gifted to the winner at a dedicated event in May 2023, (also one pin will be auctioned for charity)
• 2-month design secondment with CHELSEA ROCKS, developing winning pin collection, (unpaid placement)
• Training session with an award-winning gemologist (online) • Private tour of renowned jewellery collection (London)
• Print / social media exposure (national & international)
*Please see Terms and Conditions below. There is no cash alternative to the prizes as described above.
DEADLINE & KEY DATES:
1 December 2022 Deadline for competition entries
14th February 2023 Winner announced in press
COMPETITION WEB PAGE & SUBMISSION FORM:
Download media assets/visuals here.
MEDIA ENQUIRIES #ROCKTHEPINJOANNA PARK-TONKS
CHELSEA ROCKS – LABORATORY GROWN DIAMONDS
TEL. 00 44 207 199 89 41 (UK)
UK: SUITE LP55375/ 20-22 WENLOCK ROAD, LONDON, N1 7GU, GB